Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Strawberry and Rhubarb Galette



We visited our favorite local Farm Store, Unger Farms and picked up 12 pints of our local Hood Strawberries, they are a bit smaller but super sweet.  I also got some fresh Rhubarb which I think I have only used once in my life.  My Sister In Law, Mary said she was going to make a Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp or Cobbler I cannot remember which one.

Anyway it gave me an idea, I thought I would make a Galette which I love to do when fresh fruit is in season. I looked about the inter webs and used this recipe as my start, I of course had to change it and add ingredients to make it my own.

I only had a Deep Dish Pie crust already in the pan, so I flipped it over and let it thaw, then tried to roll it. It was a bit of a disaster so I apologize for how terrible it looks.  Next time I will either make my own pie crust or get a frozen rolled one.

1 Pie Crust Round, either make or buy one
1 cup of strawberries, stem removed sliced in half
1 cup or about 3 stalks of Rhubarb sliced (when cutting the ends off, it may act like it wants you to peel the skin off, go ahead but don't obsess on it)
1/4 cup of Sugar (I have Vanilla Sugar so I used that)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Orange Zest
2 TBL AP flour
Pinch of Salt
1 Egg, lightly beaten
3 TBL of Sugar In the Raw

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Place thawed pie crust on your counter with a little flour and roll out to a 10 inch round

Place the round carefully on a greased baking sheet (I used a Silpat)

Blot Strawberries and Rhubarb with paper towels to remove excess moisture, place the fruit and the flour, spices, sugar, salt and orange zest.  Let rest for 10 minutes or so and mix well

Using a slotted spoon, place the fruit in the middle of the pastry, leaving a 3 inch pastry edge.  Fold pastry edge up and over the fruit mixture, overlapping the edges as required, leaving the center of the pie uncovered

Place small dots of butter on the exposed fruit, 2 total tablespoons

Brush pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle the pastry and filling with the Sugar In the Raw

Bake on lower shelf of pre-heated oven for 30 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown

Let sit for 5 minutes and serve with whipped cream or ice cream




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks excellent. Your strawberry rhubarb crisp was just the perfect combination of sweet and tart, so I am sure this would be just as excellent! CT

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...